SharePoint 2013 Certification Overview
The SharePoint certification process has a number of changes from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013. In particular the previous Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) and Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) certifications have been replaced with the Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) and Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) certifications. Additionally the number of exams required to achieve these certifications has increased. A diagram of the changes from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 is shown below:
While details of changes to the Microsoft Partner competencies have not been updated at the time of writing, the new MCSE and MCSD SharePoint certifications are likely to be required to maintain the Microsoft Partner Silver or Gold Collaboration and Content competency in the future.
The MCSE certification replaces the MCIPT certification, is aimed at an IT Pro audience and requires passing the following exams
1. SharePoint focused:
- 70-331: Core Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 (in beta at the time of writing)
- 70-332: Advanced Solutions of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 (in beta at the time of writing)
2. Non-SharePoint focused:
- MCSA: Windows Server 2012 which requires either upgrading from Windows 2008 via 70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 or:
If you are interested in taking the Windows Server 2012 exams and you are a Microsoft Partner it is worth considering the Microsoft Competency Exam Packs. These allow you to save up to 40% on exams and have a retake for free if required.
MCSD: SharePoint Applications
The MCSD certification replaces the MCPD certification, is aimed at a developer audience and requires passing the following exams
1. SharePoint focused:
- 70-488 (currently in development, expected Jan/Feb 2013)
- 70-489 (currently in development, expected Jan/Feb 2013)
2. Web development focused:
If you are interested in attaining the MCSD certification I’d suggest doing the following:
- Registering for the 70-480 exam now as it is free untilMarch 2013 using code HTMLJMP as mentioned on the Microsoft Virtual Academy blog
- Submitting a Subject Matter Expert (SME) profile on Microsoft connect so that you have a chance of getting an invite to take the beta exams. See the article Everything You Wanted to Know about Beta Exams: Part 1 (Beta Invites) from the Born to Learn blog for more details on this.
- Following the Born to Learn blog to get details on new exams that are released
3. Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM): SharePoint
The MCSM certification replaces the Microsoft Certified Master (MCM) certification and is a higher level certification than the MCSD and MCSE (in fact both are requirements for achieving the MCSM certification). In contrast to the previous MCM program that required several weeks of on-site training at Redmond, the MCSM program is largely being delivered remotely. The next round of publicly available courses scheduled for March and June 2013 only require one week in Redmond, with the remainder of the course delivered remotely via the web.
A diagram of how the certifications fit together is shown below:
- SharePoint 2013 Developer Certifications from Ari Bakker
- MCSE: SharePoint Certification Overview from Microsoft Learning
- MCSM: SharePoint Certification Overview from Microsoft Learning
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Master: SharePoint - Training & Certification Overview from Microsoft Learning (contains details on the MCSD exams)
*Header image of this blog is credited to Microsoft